Dissertation Forum | Download Dissertations | MBA Projects | Dissertation Blog | Essays
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Part 08 - General Points: Style

Go down

Part 08 - General Points: Style Empty Part 08 - General Points: Style

Post  studyaids Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:18 pm

The importance of following the required referencing style has already been stated. However, there are other stylistic features which should be adhered to and these will normally be set out in the instructions you are given when an essay is set. As a general rule, do not write in the first person unless specifically asked to do so i.e. avoid the use of phrases such as ‘I think’ or ‘in this essay I am going to’. Rather, allow your essay to reflect a personal perception whilst being presented in an objective manner. It is useful to look at how professional writers construct essays to gain style tips (though remember, do not plagiarise under any circumstances as this is sure to be detected, is unfair on the writer whose ideas you are stealing and ultimately self-defeating). Most essays are required to be typed and double-spaced using size 12 font in ‘Times New Roman’ but it is advisable to check on this as requirements vary. Do not use colloquial expressions, stick to Standard English throughout. Lists are not a good idea unless the essay specifically requires them, as they can appear to be rushed, a truncated way of presenting a lot of information without sufficient explanation.
studyaids
studyaids
Admin

http://www.study-aids.co.uk

Back to top Go down